I was shocked last week, when I did a bit of my routine searching on the local Craigs List......and found listed for sale "pair of 50's Tannoy cabinets and speakers.....$250" !!
Of course I send an email right away....and said I'd be glad to take them, and pay her very reasonable asking price. Mean while I looked at a few Japanese audio sites and saw these type of speakers with asking prices upwards of 10 thousand dollars per pair.
I waited all day for a reply.........yes, I was very much counting my chickens before they hatched....but none came. Craig's list is a tough game.
That evening, I checked the post again, and it had been changed to "give me your best offer" for the speakers......I imagine she had been swamped with replies.
I sent off an email, saying I had a couple jars of silver dimes on my desk....worth a few thousand dollars....and could I please see the speakers.
The ad had a Chevy Chase Md., address....and I just imagined the divorced wife or perhaps widow selling her late husbands "old" outdated equipment.
To make a long story short....she was polite enough to send me an email that night.....
"sorry, I sold them"





Bookmarks